Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Ashes of Atrocity

A vary wise Rabbi once said that "You have to look hard to find the sparks of divinity in the ashes of atrocity."  This morning at the most massive garage sale ever, I looked through the ashes, piles of ashes, but was unable to find anything particularly divine. I found some mildly entertaining things, but nothing descended from Olympus or anything. Oh well. A few of you dear readers have just had the beginnings of your Christmas presents acquired. The rest of the Christmas shopping will happen over Halloween when I go to Northampton, the mecca of holiday purchasing.

I guess you could call the season here Fall, but it's just not the same. Right now, it's like 78 degrees and all the trees are still bright green. No fun at all. Where's the brisk wind, the orange foliage, the smell of dirt, the pumpkins? I have a Vermont fall desk top picture, so every time I open my computer, I feel closer to home.

Also, another thing to make me feel far from home, there are Republicans here. I know, scary right? I mean, there are like 5 at Smith, but they're pretty under the radar, so basically, I've never met one. They walk and talk and it's a little terrifying. I saw someone with a "Friends don't let friends vote Democrat" tee-shirt the other day. I thought the saying went the other way. Also, Nobama is very popular. Who are these people? We should put them in Tartarus (look it up) where all the other ashes belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment