Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sarah Galper: Burglar at Large

So last night, I walked home from the restaurant in the pouring rain at midnight. I love taking the metro home in the middle of night (no it's not creepy) and then walking home (even though my feet always hurt from working). I had an umbrella, but I was totally hyper from work and I felt like getting wet, so by the time I got to the house, I was completely soaked. I had had a great night. There was a really fab wedding party who listened to the Grateful Dead in the party room all night, and there was a really sweet couple having their 50th wedding anniversary. It was the night of love. Then I had all these great conversations with my two favorite buss boys, Josue and Edgar. Then to top it all off, I sat at the bar after all the people had left, with Christopher the head chef (the one who swears) and talked about my really hot rain-boots with the skulls and roses.

Also, I thought it was only my high-school friends who liked to poke me and sit on me. Then I thought, oh, you know Smith and Village Harmony, of course they like to do it too. But NO. Apparent it's EVERYONE. Yeves, the french waiter who reminds me of my father but with a snobby french accent, loves to poke me in the side, sneakily on the go in the middle of the dining room floor so I can't say anything. Edgar sat on me half way through the evening and refused to get up. And then, when I was walking to the metro with Josue, Edgar snuck up behind me and bear hugged me around the middle. Needless to say, I screamed, and everyone on the street probably thought I was being molested.

So then, I get home, it's midnight, and I'm VERY wet and a little cold and the door is locked. It is so ridiculous that I have to laugh. Of course, Symon, who is usually up until 1, is apparently asleep and when I call John's cell in an attempt to NOT wake up the entire house, I hear it ring and then see it through the window next to the stove. OK. Now what? I know that there is probably a spare key, but I don't know where. SO. I very ingeniously decide to break in. I simply lifted the screen next to the door, pried open the window, stuck my freakishly long arm through the window, and undid the dead-bolt. Tada! This morning, John showed me the spare key.

1 comment:

  1. Of course everyone likes to sit on you--we've had this conversation before. You're a very comfortable person. :) I'm glad you're having fun (Probably there are many people who, after coming home at midnight, in the dark, in the rain, in a big city, after growing up in rural VT, would burst into tears on finding the house locked. I love that you just think it's funny--and then break in. Have I mentioned that I miss you?)

    Also, you might want to be careful about posting instructions on how to break into your uncle's house...

    ReplyDelete