I realize that I speak a lot about the restaurant, but very little about my internship, which is why I'm here in the first place. Also, I have yet to describe my lunch crew, who make up an integral and highly pleasurable part of my day.
So I just had a minor academic break down (you know, oh my God what am I doing here, I'm not learning anything, I hate my advisor, I miss school, etc). If you know me well, you will see a pattern of this in my academic life. Academic break down number one was when I decided that everything I had done in school until that point was wrong and that I was going to be an American Studies major. Academic break down number two was when I couldn't find a textile arts program anywhere in the WORLD (literally) that I liked until I discovered the University of Hawaii. And now here we are at academic break down number three. But it's OK, I spoke to my Smith/Smithsonian advisor, and she has helped me put everything to rights. I have tentatively decided on a project for this semester, which I believe will have something to do with women's rights and American labor songs. Original huh? I bet you're thinking, "Wow, Sarah has never done ANY sort of project like THAT before". Anyway, I have a meeting with the head reference librarian of folk collections at the Library of Congress tomorrow morning to discuss my project. Seriously, how cool is that? I have a MEETING at the library of CONGRESS.
So lunch. Every day at precisely 11:54, I get up from my table, remove my white gloves, grab my soup from the kitchen and book it over to the Air and Space museum where two other Smith interns, Jess and Megan work. We meet in the staff eating space on the third floor with Vickie, another non-Smith intern, and an actual paid employee, Ross. We then sit around for an hour and laugh hysterically. Yesterday, Megan's water bottle exploded all over me and I couldn't speak for laughing for at least two minutes. It is an excellent way to break the monotony of the archives. Then Ross puts in his daily pitch for me to mention his name to my boss so he can get an internship in the folkways collection in 2 weeks when his job at Air and Space ends. I find it very hard to take Ross seriously, partially because his name it Ross which reminds me of Friends, and also because he looks like the main character in Dawson's Creek. To be clear, however, where the guy from the TV show looks like a gnome, Ross is actually very attractive and not a complete idiot. Vickie is also absolutely wonderful and thinks everything I say is funny, which in turn makes me laugh every time she laughs at me.
Lastly, I have dyed my hair a reddish blond color, so now ever time I do something stupid (which is often) Symon mocks me for being blond. I guess I should be amazed that he even noticed I dyed it. He is one of those incredibly average boys who notices absolutely nothing. I hope his girlfriend has lost a ton of weight or gotten some sort of body piercing, and that he doesn't notice for weeks after he gets off the plane in England.
I also feel that my very clever blog entry title describes my personality perfectly.
No comments:
Post a Comment