Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I'm Like the Wind

So the one day I decide to read the paper on the train, I find out that Patrick Swayze died. It totally ruined my morning and I teared up right there on the metro. The guy next to me probably thought I was insane. I’ve had She’s Like the Wind stuck in my head all day, and every time it runs through my mind I see him naked in a lake with Jennifer Grey. I also learned that the Iraqi reporter who chucked his shoe at Bush was released from prison and that Eddy Izard ran a marathon with an ice-cream truck accompanying him that played the theme song to Chariots of Fire. Ah the useful things you learn from reading the paper.

Then I spent all day organizing Monitor record covers and putting them in folders with pretty labels. I also got to meet the son and daughter-in-law of Moses Asch, the man who recorded all of the Folkways albums. I then crammed in a fast dinner and a lot of coffee before booking it across the universe to Willow Restaurant where I was trained and thrown onto the dining room floor. My feet hurt. My back hurts. My right ring finger hurts. My brain hurts. I am so tired and I need to finish my homework, take a shower, and make my lunch for tomorrow. Why am I writing this?

While frantically running around with bread rolls and trying to understand the completely nonsensical table numbering system, I met some really nice people. Not the patrons, they pretty much all sucked, especially the men having a business meeting, but the other workers were great. I am the only white busser who doesn’t speak Spanish as a first language, but that’s not going to stop me. I love all the other bussers, who are all Hispanic, especially Richard who took care of me all evening, and the waiters are also great. They’re all young guys with great senses of humor. The best part is seeing the two faces of everyone. There’s the very polite I’m-talking-to-a-customer face, and than when they go back into the kitchen it’s all “Can you believe that fucker wanted to change tables three times?” Highly entertaining. The guys are all very polite to me and ask lots of questions. The first question Peter asked me was if I had a boyfriend. This is going to be great. I can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment