As I work and play my way through my senior year, I feel the need to share my adventures with the world. While I write essays, cram credits for my major, and have awesome pig piles with my ladies, you dear reader, will be privy to my every move. Well, at least those I decide to share with you.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Don't Flip Out
This morning, I heard as though from the bottom of a well filled with pudding, a dull wailing sound. It was 7 o'clock and I had promised myself that I would make it until at least 11 to try and catch up on the sleep I have most definitely NOT been getting, but apparently, the universe had other things in store. Then, on top of the wailing, a rapid pounding interrupted my blissful snoozing, and in the throws of sleepy confusion, I leapt from my bed, completely convinced that my mother was knocking on my door. I then felt extremely stupid and was climbing back into bed when someone definitely DID knock on my door. It was my friend Seiko with the glorious news that a tsunami was coming and that the wailing noise was the warning bell. Now, just to illustrate to you how backwards, upside-down, and sideways my priorities are right now, my first thought was, "Holy shit, my glass project is due on Monday! What if I can't get into the studio to work on it!?" followed by, "If the campus is closed, how will I get brunch!?" Then, while everyone else started running around (hemhem, my hysterical and high-pitched room mate) I though to myself, "Self, how will it better you to run around?" The answer was clearly that it would not benefit me in any way. Also, Seiko had already gone to get food and water, and panic is really unnecessary when you have absolutely no control over whether or not a nine foot wave hits Waikiki. So, in the spirit of the occasion, I decided to go back to sleep. This would have worked out perfectly if people hadn't kept calling me. First was my boyfriend calling (very sweetly and considerately) to tell me not to flip out (which as described earlier, I had already decided not to do). Then was my glass blowing partner wanting to know if the studio was closed. And finally, my glass instructor informing me that the studio would be opening late. Then there was the knocking. First was the tsunami is coming knock, then the do you want food knock, then the we are going to get food knock, and finally, the we have food knock. Needless to say, I did not go back to sleep, and now here I am writing this. I am so tired. About 2 hours till the collision. I'll keep you posted. Don't flip out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sarah. You cannot tell us that there will be a tsunami in 2 hours and you will keep us posted and then NOT KEEP US POSTED... Ahem. I got back from being away all weekend just now, read this, realized that even with the time difference, it had been more than two hours, and worried a little. Note that I did not flip out. I very calmly googled "hawaii tsunami", and the very first article was titled "Hawaii Tsunami Warning Cancelled" and I was reassured. But still.
ReplyDelete