Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Glory Hole

I'm sorry if it's shocking to you all and it may not last, but I needed a change of blogging scenery. Same crazy thoughts, just a different format. The other blog template felt too dark for Hawaii so we're trying something greener! So I'm taking some very cool classes and as of right now, I'm loving all of them. I have a substantial amount of reading and studio time, but I have very little writing to do, and on the whole, I don't think I'm looking at a very academically challenging semester. I'm taking Hawaiian History, Literature of Hawaii, Native American History, Weaving, and Glass Blowing. The glass class is by far the most challenging and will take about ten hours outside of class a week. Yikes! Now, my mind is no dirtier than the next 6th grade boy's, but I must say, glass blowing has the most suggestive terms of any other artistic subject I have ever experienced. We're reading this really great hand illustrated and lettered book on blowing technique and from it I quote, "First, you grasp the rod gently in your hands, making sure that the tip is hot and glowing red. Begin by rolling the rod in a relaxed motion, back and forth. Make continuous rotations in one direction, open the door to the furnace and insert the tip inside. Angle the pipe, allow the tip full penetration below the level of the glass. Continue the turning motion while driving deeper to gather up as much of the hot stuff as possible on the blow pipes head. Prepare to withdraw by coming out horizontally and gently." This coupled with the fact that the furnace mouth is called a "glory hole" is really just too much for me. All the guys in the class are all serious and paying attention and I'm there standing in the back sniggering to myself every time the professor says the word penetrate. Best class ever.
I think I may be getting a tiny bit less white!!!

1 comment:

  1. LOL. That's funny...sounds like my kinda class! I wonder if any 'romance' writers have used glass blowing class as a setting for extracurricular activities.

    Anyway, hope you enjoy Hawaii. Aloha!

    ReplyDelete